The Night Before Day 1

It’s the Night Before Day 1. Sharon and I drove from Oakland to Southern California in a humongous white Toyota 4Runner rental (which we just dropped off at John Wayne Airport). The traffic coming down was smooth except for a few Easter Sunday fender-benders. The Runabout kart (“kart” is the preferred spelling of designer/manufacturer Roger […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 1

I was joined this morning at the Pacific Ocean (at the foot of the Santa Ana River Trail) by my dear wife Sharon and my longtime friend and colleague, Dr. Bronson Hamada, who lives and practices in Huntington Beach. Bronson joined me for the first few miles and then he drove Sharon to the airport. […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 2

Today started out better then it ended. It was a beautiful day, and all I needed to do was walk on the Santa Ana River Trail most of the way to Corona. On the Trail this morning I observed a bunch of guys from California Department of Fish and Wildlife on ladders inspecting a large […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 3

Today it was the three “Cs”—Cars, Construction, and Cows. This was supposed to be an easy day. Only 16 miles, and about 70% of it was on sidewalks. Turned out the other 30% was hell and frustration. A sidewalk would end suddenly, with nowhere to walk but on a sandy side path or on a busy […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 4

On the fourth day I rested. I decided to give my legs, knees, feet, and toes a break today. I sat in the Jacuzzi a few times, and took the hotel shuttle to the mall to buy a pair of trail shoes at North Face. But mostly I thought about the last few days, the […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 5

Although I did not put on a lot of mileage today (about 10 miles), it was in other ways a satisfying day. Although Haven Avenue in Ontario was anything but a haven yesterday when I was struggling to get past Ontario airport, it was more amenable today, taking me via sidewalks all the way to the […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 6

My day began early, about 5am. In spite of the Mexican music that went on until 2:30 am (I’m actually a fan, and love the tuba bass lines and the staccato accordion fills), I slept deeply when I was sleeping, and fell back to sleep without much difficulty. I broke “camp,” and was at IHOP 1/2 […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 7

I walked 14 miles today, but didn’t mean to. Google Maps was not my friend, and did not take me to my intended destination. But I liked walking along the San Timoteo Creek bike and walking path, as well as on San Timoteo Canyon Rd. (even though it’s a two-lane blacktop and constant traffic vigilance […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 8

Probably the best day I’ve had on the road. I packed up my gear and was back on San Timoteo Canyon Road at 6:40 am. At first, it was more two-lane blacktop, but when I crossed into Beaumont, CA, the road changed dramatically, with a WIDE sidewalk to walk on, and no need to pay […]

Read more
Like this post0

Day 9

It was a 14 mile day, but that does not begin to tell the half of it. The billboard, however, tells it all. I followed the directions out of Banning given to me by no fewer than three veteran non-car travelers. But this business about having to work on a complicated walking route to avoid […]

Read more
Like this post0
Close
Go top